Monday, January 30, 2012

Days 28 – 30: The Quickie Mart, The Wine and The Nachos

I should start by saying that I have spent more time than is reasonable today trying to figure out what I was going to blog about tonight.  I knew that I was two behind, so I was trying to think of some kind of trifecta of happy making goodness.  I had a few ideas for three short blogs.  However, this evening as I wandered in to my local Quickie Mart -- which is the term I use for all 7-11, Super Food, Circle K and actual Quickie Mart type places -- I was filled with inspiration.


Once upon a time, I remember asking Joel what purpose the 7-11 served.  I believe I said “It is exactly like a gas station, except without the gas, which means it serves less of a purpose than a gas station.  It’s pointless.”  He looked at me as though I was daft, hustled me into the truck and away we went to explore our local 7-11.  I learned quite a few things that day.  It is a place of magic.  Where else in the universe can you find motor oil, nail polish, slushies, $4.99 movies made only in the years 1979-1984 and a ham sandwich all within a ten foot radius?  Perhaps heaven, but certainly nowhere else on earth. 


My purpose this evening was to get a bottle of wine on my way home.  I could have gone many places to get this wine, but I knew I could get a bottle of wine that scored 90 points in Wine Spectator at my local Quickie Mart for $9.99 and that I could be in and out of that GD Quickie Mart in less than five minutes.  Math might not be my thing, but even I get why that is awesome.  And they don’t have those little rinky dink selections like they do at the gas station.  (By the way, does it disturb anyone else that you can buy wine at the gas station?  That shit comes with screw off caps now.  NOT SAFE for people who have my commute, and by not safe I mean for them.)  They have a pretty impressive assortment of wines to choose from.  My local store even has a wee bitty organic section.  This evening I settled on a lovely Gascon Malbec which you should absolutely try if you haven’t.  


Now that we have covered all of these super amazing things about the Quickie Mart, let’s talk about the one thing that is probably the most amazing of all.  The nachos.  You might hope that I’m kidding but I promise you I am not.  I. LOVE. SHITTY. NACHOS.  I love all nachos, but there is something about that nasty, goopy, warm cheese sauce that sends me right over the edge.  One day, if I am ever with McBaby, Joel will quickly need to learn of all of the Quickie Mart type places close by so that he can make sure when I send him out for shitty nachos at 3:00 AM he does not come back empty handed.  It’s the perfect drunk food, it’s the perfect hangover food, it’s the perfect because-it’s-Thursday food.  I don’t care that it has literally no nutritional value because no cheese could possibly survive in that formula.  I love it.  


So there you have it folks.  I realize that I have cheated both you and myself by combining these.  I know you are probably disappointed in me, hell I’m disappointed in myself.  However, I’m on glass two of the Malbec so things are looking up.  


BEHOLD...


1 comment:

  1. Gascon Malbec IS fabtastic! but you MUST try Diseno Malbec, if you haven't already, it is bliss in a bottle. so is Layer Cake Shiraz.

    you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete