Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 8 - Cooking

It occurred to me today while working on my "things that I love" list, which I plan to draw from on days that I lack imminent blogging inspiration, that many of the things that make me happy involve food.  So, first and foremost, expect to see a lot of posts about food.  Also, expect to see a post about how much I love making lists.

The culmination of all of the things I love about food is cooking it for my family and friends.  I find the act of making something delicious out of things that were otherwise mediocre incredibly satisfying. I also enjoy the ritual.  I love shopping for the ingredients as well as chopping, blending, kneading, macerating, sauteing, mixing, sifting, a precise julienne...all of it. I have all sorts of kitchen gadgets because they makes me so GD happy.  Joel knows this, which is why while other women get jewels, I get Le Crueset for Valentines Day. 

More so than any of this though, it is a way for me to show my love.  If the quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach, then the quickest way to mine is by loving my cooking.  

Riley has showed interest in learning how to cook, although that's only just been in earnest in the past few months.  Last year, he just wanted to do all the fun stuff and leave all of the grunt work for me, but now he's gotten really good at rolling up his sleeves and making dinner from start to end.  Sometimes it is hard to share it with him...sometimes if I'm bored I even kick him out of the kitchen and do it all myself.  But, in the end, I like being able to show him what I love about it.

Here is a picture of us from a few months back.  We were making crazy victorious face because he had mastered breaded chicken breasts.  That's my boy.





No comments:

Post a Comment