Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 13 - Wendy

When I started this one a day thing, I decided that I was going to blog about the people I love most on their birthdays.  This makes things easier when it comes to remembering who I have and have not written about AND gives my besties a tribute on their special day.

Naturally, I forgot the first birthday of the year.

This being said, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY WENDY BIRD!  Instead of blogging about you when I should have, I blogged about fancy sandwiches.  Please rest assured that those sandwiches were really, really delicious.

I met Wendy at Beth’s on Aurora, it must have been around eight years ago.  It was after she returned from her time living in Turkey.  She, Joel, Morgan and I ate our weight in greasy fries and chain smoked for most of that evening.  Joel had told me a lot about Wendy, so I was fascinated by her before I even met her.  I knew how much he loved and respected her and it takes a special kind of lady to win Joel over in such a fashion.  At any rate, she lived up to and surpassed my expectations of her.  I adored her immediately and to this day she is one of my closest friends.

There are a lot of things to love about Wendy.  Here is a list, in no specific order, of just some of the things I love about her:  She’s smart - She’s funny - She’s got great boobs - She loves to drink champagne on a Saturday afternoon - She gives sound advice - She is completely low maintenance, strong, non-judgmental and supportive.   She is the exact kind of woman that every woman should want to be friends with.

My personal favorite thing about my conversations with Wendy is that, when we are not arguing over the merits of J.K. Rowling, she is one of the few “not work” people that I can really talk business with.  We talk about corporate America almost as much as we talk about shoes.  I love digging into nerdy work topics like negotiation tactics with her.   She loves being a corporate goddess as much as I do and it is really delightful to have an ally outside of the office that gets it.

Also, she’s the reason I say delightful all of the time.

Here is to you my WB.  Thank you for being such an amazing woman.  Thank you for teaching me all of the reasons I should admire Frida Kahlo.  Thank you for living in that itty bitty apartment on Eastlake and moving your car every time you knew I was coming over because you knew how terrified I was of parallel parking.  Thank you for keeping the fact that you moved your car secret until you moved to a different neighborhood so that I would believe it was my awesome parking prowess that always got me such a sweet spot.  You’re one of the good ones, sister!


No comments:

Post a Comment