Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 18 - The Internet

For the past two days, my internet connection has been shoddy at best and non-existent at worst.  I'm not sure if it is due to this storm or due to the fact that our equipment is archaic, and by archaic I mean more than five years old.  

Joel read an article the other day which pointed out the fact that ours is the last generation that will have grown up without internet technology.  How is THAT for a little reality check folks?  I actually remember the first time I used "the internet".  I was in college using a lab machine for homework.  Someone tried to chat with me and I had literally no idea what was going on.  A guy sitting beside me came over and explained it to me.  Then, he showed me yahoo.  

A whole new world was opened up to me that day.

The first thing I searched for on the internet was the Loch Ness Monster.  I was obsessed with Nessie (I still kind of am).

It's hard to remember what life was like before the internet made everything so blasted easy. I used to be even more horrible at keeping in touch, but now I can reconnect with and stalk old friends any minute of any hour of any day.  THANKS FACEBOOK!  Riley will ask me questions like "Why do people say Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth?" to which I reply "I don't know, let's look it up."  THANKS GOOGLE!  Joel and I argue the first time we watch Sons of Anarchy because I am convinced that Gemma is "Peg Bundy" and Joel is not.  THANKS INTERNET MOVIE DATABASE!  


Everything and everyone is literally at the tip of your fingers now.  While sometimes that thought terrifies me, what is even more terrifying is my dependency on it.  Even more terrifying than that is how much I LURVE it, not entirely unlike a crack addict loves getting their fix I suppose.  After two days of not knowing whether or not it will be there when I sit down in front of my computer, I have been cherishing those brief moments that I have with it, like I would having a glass of wine with an old friend who I haven't seen in a while.

Geesh.  I need to log off and read a book.  

1 comment:

  1. Me = total Nessie hound too. My mom ordered the "Time-Life Mysteries of the Unknown" series for me as a kid because I was so obsessed with all that cryptozoology/paranormal stuff. I was a regular little girl Mulder!

    ReplyDelete