Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 19 - Ryan

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RYAN! Actually, Happy Birthday yesterday.  At least I'm getting closer with the birthday thing.


My cousin Ryan is exactly 1 year, 1 day and 1 month older than I am.  He and I have always been close.  I remember when we were younger, he was always so sweet and always so very serious.  Sometimes I had to remind him that we were teenagers and allowed to be irresponsible and ill-behaved.  

Ryan knew from the time he was 14 years old that he wanted to fly planes and now, as an adult, he is a pilot for a very respectable airline which shall remain unnamed in the case that it is supposed to; I wouldn't want him to get into trouble.  He is a husband and soon, his beautiful wife will make him a father.  (YAY!)

I love the fact that he works as a pilot for two reasons.  

First, because he comes to Seattle every once in a while and we get to pick him up and take him out for dinner.  The only other family that have been to Seattle in the 10 years that I have lived here are my parents.  He is also one of the only family members that calls me randomly just to chat.  I need to get better about calling him back, or at the very least go on a little bit more about how I love that he calls.

Second, and far less selfish, is that I think it is exceedingly cool that he is doing exactly what he always wanted to do as a profession.  I respect the hell out of that fact.  He started doing what he loved when he was FOURTEEN and hasn't stopped since, now he's getting paid for it.  I remember rolling my eyes when he would see a plane fly by and tell me what model it was, but secretly I was always jealous that he loved anything enough to learn that much about it. 

I suppose I could have tried hard to mimic that responsible streak, but I much preferred trying to corrupt him.  ;)

Anyway, much love to you Cousin!  Hope your day was fan-freaking-tastic!  Also, I can't wait to meet your kiddo.  :-D 

 (Ryan and I in front of the infamous, and super gross, gum wall by Pike Place Market - 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment