Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 20 - The Godfather

The "Seattle Snowpocalypse 2012" has kept me cozy in my home since Tuesday afternoon.  Snow days don't really exist for me in this age of access anywhere, so not only have I been locked in my house, but I've been locked in my house working.  Normally, this would mean that I would have gone stir crazy sometime yesterday and pulled out all of the hair in Joel's beard.  (What, you didn't think I would take my hypothetical aggression out on myself, did you?)  


But something miraculous happened yesterday.


I, due to a number of factors including both technical difficulties and distractions, didn't get as much done as I would have liked on Wednesday.  In order to solve this problem I decided to lock myself in my bedroom on Thursday.  After a long stretch of being reasonably productive, I decided to start watching the Godfather movies.  I was doing a bunch of mind numbing documentation and I felt like the background noise would help.  I was right.  BAM...I went into super productive mode the second the theme song started playing. 


The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II are both in my top ten favorite movies of all time. I've always loved mafioso movies, but these are the absolute best.  They strike such a cord in me, I'm not sure if it is the intense family ties, the history, the beautiful way they build the family's rise of power, the tragic way it disappears or the young, utterly swoon-worthy Robert De Niro. 



I rarely watch Part III, even though I love the quote "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"  However, the first two are also filled with fantastic quotes and are absent of incest.  So, there is that.



I almost pulled Riley in to make him watch the scene in Part II where Vito was helping the widow that was getting kicked out of her apartment.  Instead of starting at the middle, I told him that the very second he was old enough to understand exactly what made these films so amazing, I was going to make him sit down and watch the trilogy.  His response?  "Like when I'm eighty?"  



*le sigh*



As a completely related side note, I'm currently watching the third movie which is a rare occurrence, but a necessary evil every few years.  Sofia's acting makes Baby Jesus cry.  I would say that it is a good thing she's a phenomenal director, but she's a Coppola so she really doesn't NEED to be talented at anything.  But seriously, directing is really her calling.  If you don't believe me, watch The Virgin Suicides.

2 comments:

  1. Yup on everything. I've probably seen 1 and 2 thirty times. And 3 a few times. Cazale, Duvall, everyone just perfect. I'm pretty sure I could almost recite both scripts verbatim! Glad you're back blogging... /jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. 성인용품

    ReplyDelete