Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Day 53 - Garbage

I did not have the pleasure of hearing my first Garbage song until 1996, when I saw Leonardo and Claire's Romeo and Juliet and heard #1 Crush.  The first Garbage album came out in 1995, so this means I missed an entire year of rocking out to Shirley Manson's sultry, jaw dropping, freaking fantastic voice. 

In retrospect, this might not be a bad thing.  #1 Crush rocked my socks off and for weeks I would bust out in my sexy dance* every time I heard it.  I think this kind of behavior would have deeply disturbed my mother, but luckily for her I was out of the house in 1996 so she was never subjected to it.  

I bought "Garbage" soon after and I was completely addicted.  I remember driving around that summer with all of the windows down, the hot wind blowing through my hair, "Only Happy When It Rains" blasting on the highest volume I could get away with and still safely drive.  Little did I know at the time that I would truly test that theory once I got to Seattle.  All I knew then was bliss.  That CD didn't come out of my car until fall.  That was an amazing summer filled with cherished memories.

Today, when I opened the Zune marketplace, they all came flooding back.  I saw that Absolute Garbage (their compilation album from a few years back) was available for download.  For the one hour that I have not been in meetings, I've been in my office listening to one of my favorite redheads and reminiscing.  And working.  Of course working.  Always working.


For your listening pleasure, a reminder of what started it all...my original rock out song and the reason I fell in love with this band over 15 years ago:  





* Disclaimer: I'm not entirely sure that this dance was sexy then or if it still is today.  While I recognize this is subject to opinion, I have a high self esteem so I'm just going to go forward believing it is still true.

1 comment:

  1. Wooo! One of my favorite bands ever! Their first album literally didn't leave my CD player for over a month after I got it.

    ...and I still have a crush on Shirley Manson. :D

    ReplyDelete