Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 42 - My Kindle Fire

One of my Christmas presents from Joel was a Kindle Fire.  I always have this initial aversion to new technology.  I guess I'm waiting for the day when I can't figure it out. 

When I got it, I downloaded Facebook, Angry Birds and a MahJong, which is all I've used it for since the beginning of December. The thing is that I really love books.  I like holding them, I like paging through them.  When I decided I wanted a tablet device, it was because I assumed that the books would cost a significant amount less since there was no production cost associated with them.  When I discovered that they were still $10+, I couldn't imagine paying as much money for a book that I couldn't touch.

Well, last evening, I was inspired to start exploring the book marketplace and I found a Dean Koontz novella, a prequel to one of his recent books.  Back in the late 80's early 90's, he was my favorite author.  I would not have been willing to buy one of his books at this point, but I could download a sample to read...which I did.  It was really fascinating.  The writing reminded me of the old Dean Koontz that I loved, creepy like The Hideaway.  When I got to the end of the sample, I decided to buy the novella with one click for $1.99.  It was a great story, so great that I then bought the subsequent book.  These are the kind of books that I don't want to have on my shelf, but I love reading. 

The perfect use for my new device.  I'm happy to have discovered that Dean Koontz is writing something that interests me again and I'm happy that I didn't have to go to a store to buy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment