Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day 99 - Alone Time

One of the things that I have taken for granted the most when I had it was the beauty of alone time. 

Interruption frustrates me.*  As much as it happens in my job, I've learned to cope or at the very least, find ways to work around it.  This is why this blog is such a challenge.  I find "nothing blogs" to be deplorable and I feel conflicted if I don't have enough uninterrupted time to write something worth reading.  Again, I sort of had to get over that if I was going to attempt to write nearly every day.  I see it as an intrusion if someone tries to talk to me when I'm reading or watching a show (although heckling bad TV/Movies is an exception).  

I want to be completely present for what I'm doing while I'm doing it.  I want give my full attention to one thing at a time, to get lost in it, for as long as I damned well please.  If something is so unimportant that it doesn't deserve my focus, then I shouldn't be doing it at all.

Since my youngest brother is nine years older, I grew quite accustomed to having as much me time as I needed.  I got to be alone with only my imagination.  Sometimes I would go lay outside under the big tree in my parents yard, close my eyes and imagine myself in a whole other world.  I don't think I realized how much I loved it at the time, but even thinking back on it now makes me all dreamy eyed. 

This is why I find weekend mornings to be so wonderful.  The McMan and McBoy sleep in and I have some precious Tiffany time.  I don't always use it wisely.  This morning, for example, I spent half an hour trying to find a missing piece to the Keurig (a successful endeavor I might add).  I cleaned up the kitchen and did a couple of loads of laundry.  But then, I got to sit down and write this blog.  That part was awesome.  As soon as this blog is complete, I'm going to play with Adobe Muse for a while and see if we can't be friends.  


And then, at some point very soon, Joely will come shuffling out here and say "Woman!  Where's my breakfast?!?" and I will say "You make the breakfast."  And he will chuckle, kiss my forehead and shuffle into the kitchen to have his special time with the Keurig.  Then I will spend the rest of my day with my fellas...and that will be wonderful as well.


Just a different kind.  ;)


*  I suppose I should quantify this by saying interruption of something I'm interested in doing.  If I'm performing some task at work that I don't want to be doing, I welcome interruption every time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment