Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 93 - Karin Madan, Pinheads and Rubix Cubes

A few years back there was an art show at Starbucks in Fremont, displaying the work of local artist Karin Madan.  They were all prints of these really delightful little creatures doing one thing or another.  My favorite was set of two paintings called "Death by Kebab".  I told Joely about them.  

It just so happened to be close to Valentines Day, so he drove his enormous Ford truck to Fremont during his lunch hour.  By some act of god, he managed to find parking.  He walked in and told the barista that he wanted to buy the prints.  She said "Sorry, we can't sell them if the manager isn't here."

I wish I could have been there to see the look he gave her.  I'm sure he took the news like the little ray of sunshine that he is.  At any rate, he went back to do the whole thing again on Day Two.  What a guy, right?

You've probably seen them if you've been to my house, they are hanging in the kitchen (obviously).


When I saw on the Stumpytown site that she was going to be at the Emerald City Comic Con, I knew that I needed to put her on the roster of things I wanted to see before I got arrested for trying to hump Jason Momoa. As if I didn't love her stuff enough already, it was an added bonus to see that she now makes jewelry.

We found her booth and I got to chat with her for a bit.  She is a super awesome lady and I walked away loving her more than I did before I met her.  I also walked away with something from her new series, characters with a focus on gizmos from the eighties.  I had so many adorable prints to pick from... Chewie with a walkman, Batman with an enormous brick of a cell phone, but this was the piece that I knew I was going to walk away with the second that I saw it:


That's right folks, it's Little Pinhead with a Rubix cube.  Karin said "I have one on a silk rope as well, but for him the chain just seems more appropriate."  Remember when I told you that she was adorable?  How could I not love a woman that had this in her brain and made it come to life?

She has also been added to my best friend's list. 



No comments:

Post a Comment