Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day 103 - Nudes gone skinny

Someone posted a link today that illustrated what classic paintings of nude women would look like if the women's bodies were painted to today's standard of beauty. 
Art's great nudes have gone skinny

When looking through the alternative pieces, a few thoughts struck me which I found amusing.

1)  When voluptuous, the women in these paintings clearly look like women.  However, when all of those curves are shaved off they look like teenage girls.  It was enlightening, but also made me feel like a dirty bird so I ended up skipping past the "skinny" variations pretty quickly.

2) The supporting cast in every single one of these paintings, whether the woman of primary focus is "skinnified" or not, is creepy...and not just a little.  I don't care who you are or how much cushion you have for the pushin'...you should never be lounging around naked, surrounded by a bunch of winged children.

3)  Whether the woman was curvy or emaciated, her BREASTS WERE THE SAME SIZE.  Unless of course those cherubs can afford plastic surgery, that's not really the way it works.


God bless the days where women were supposed to have glorious curves and not look like they would break if the wind hit them the wrong way. 

1 comment:

  1. So I have a friend who has given me access to their HBOGo account, solely for the purpose of satisfying my "Game of Thrones" jones.

    Hmm, Thrones Jones.

    (shakes head)...anyway....one of the things that I love about the show is that they apparently don't discriminate against body types of any kind. Maybe this is an HBO-nudity thing, and since I don't have it as part of my cable regular, I don't realize that. But there was an ep in the second season...the captain's daughter with Theon...and I thought, "Holy crow, this might be the first time I've ever seen boobs onscreen that aren't, well, Hollywood boobs!"

    And I'm not talking implants. Just the recognition that sometimes they're small, sometimes they're sort of weirdly shaped, sometimes they flip instead of flop, etc. Remarkable how freeing it was to see it...and how sad that our girls aren't growing up knowing it's okay to be that way...any way, really.

    Loved this link, and as you know, shared it. :)

    ReplyDelete