Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day 95 - Kinect Voice Commands

Of the gizmos to emerge in the past few years, the Kinect is one of my favorites.  

As I've made pretty clear, I'm not much into gaming.  If it were competitive, I could beat the crap out of each and every one of you at Super Mario Brothers II.  Tetris is the only game I've ever bested Joel playing; although he vehemently denies this.  Moto Racer will always have a special place in my heart as Kelly, Megan and I played it over and over and over and over on Nyle's Playstation while listening to "I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLachlan (obviously...what else would we have listened to while driving wee little motorcycles around a track).  I've been itching to finish Super Mario World on the SNES...I started it one summer at my cousin's house and had to leave before we beat it.

Other than that, I have had a hard time imagining how I could care less about video games.

Then, we got the Kinect.  I was introduced to Dance Central...and subsequently my dreamy Latin Prom King Angel...and I LOVED it.  Joel has a video that he took of me dancing my ass off to Lady Gaga.  He uses it to threaten me from time to time, although I'm pretty sure he's already shown it to most of the people we know. Not only do I love the dance games, but I love that the Kinect picks up on Sophie when she runs across the living room or tries to join in.  I think we should create a profile for her. 

All of this said, I discovered my favorite thing about the Kinect when we started watching television series on Netflix through XBOX Live.  'Twas then I learned that I could tell the Kinect what to do...AND IT WOULD LISTEN!

Imagine, if you will, living in my house of unruly cats, a hyperactive dog and my feisty McMan & McBoy.  How excited would you be if there was just one thing, just ONE, that actually listened to you and did what it was told.  Not only that, but bossing is one of my favorite things.  The Kinect never talks back, it just takes it like my little, electronic, bitch.   

God bless you Kinects...each and every one.

1 comment: