Thursday, April 5, 2012

Day 96 - Christopher Moore

Once upon a time, shortly after I moved to the Puget Sound Area, I started a book club.  I did so with the intention of getting to know some wonderful ladies that I had met a bit better.  Also, I wanted to create a forcing function to read more books.

When she was up to pick the next (and her first) book, this adorable woman with wild, curly red hair picked "Lamb:  The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore.  She said that she had already read and LOVED it, but wanted us all to read it so that we could drink wine, eat cheese and talk about it.

I read the book and in that moment when I was finishing up the last sentence...that moment when I realized that the story was really ending and I was so desperately sad to be finished because I loved it so much...I knew that Kai and I were going to be very, very good friends. 

His writing is brilliant, funny, witty and he likes to drop the F bomb. At some point, I thought maybe he was wearing a man suit and was really a snarky thirteen year old girl.  While I'm not entirely convinced that is NOT true, I don't care. 


Since then, I made it my personal mission to acquire a first edition hard cover copy of every book he has ever written (which I have).  Then, get every one of those books signed (which after tonight they will be).  I love him so much that I have NOT read the last two books he's released because I'm terrified he will get hit by a bus and there will be no new Chris Moore for me to read, so I'm trying to dole them out.  Sad and crazy, but true.


Tonight, my best girls and I are going see him on his book reading tour for his latest masterpiece "Sacre Bleu!".  Even though I have not yet read it, I have no doubt it will be awesome.  He will get up on stage and NOT read from the book, but rather talk about some messed up news story that he read and make fun of crazy people who hoard rabbits.  He will be adorable and hilarious.  We will talk to him in line and get our third "Drunken MySpace Sorority Girl" photo with him.  It will be awesome.


(From his "Fool" tour, circa 2009.  WHY ISN'T SHONNA IN THIS PICTURE?)

No comments:

Post a Comment